Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Neighbor Japsang




Once upon a long ago, I traveled to Seoul, Korea, and visited Changdeokgung Palace.  What a marvel, a historical site rich in history and culture nestled within a bustling and modern city.  I was enchanted by the architecture and blossoming gardens and the beautiful, hungry koi.  But I also spied with my little eye something that would capture my imagination most of all.  On the corners of the rooftop of the main palace building stood little figures, all lined up as if scanning the horizon.  These, I later learned, are called Japsang.  Each figure has its own name.  Delightful!  They are meant to be decorative but also serve to chase away evil spirits.  

I snapped a picture, blew it up, and it has hung on my living room wall ever since.  

Below is a picture inspired by the Japsang and Totoro.  Maybe sitting on the roof while thunderous-looking clouds loom overhead is not the best idea, but I'd like to think the squishy blue guys will keep the kids safe.


9 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonsoir ma chère amie,

Quelle merveilleuse surprise que celle de ce magnifique billet accompagné d'une oeuvre toujours aussi extraordinaire. Ton japsang est particulièrement beau et rempli de tendresse.
J'aime le mouvement des feuilles... et moi qui n'aime pas particulièrement la pluie, je la trouve fascinante grâce à toi !
Tes enfants sont pétillants, j'adore!
J'admire ton talent. Tes oeuvres sont incroyablement brillantes... C♡ntinue de m'enchanter !

Gros bisous ♡

Andrea said...

You're back! Hooray!!! Please don't be gone so long as I need these bursts of beauty and whimsy. The little one in the front sticking out his tongue to catch the drops is just so perfect! Love the back story-thank you for including it!

Tammie Lee said...

oh how wonderful Bella
and cute
and i want some on my roof!

theartofpuro said...

Happy you are back,Bella :) Love the story behind the illustration that it's so beautiful:)

Ted Blackman said...

Wow, that's teamwork! But more importantly, I'm hoping this wonderful piece of art will summon the rain Gods to take a much needed rain dump on us.
Hi Bella. good to see you Bloggin yer noggin off.

Arija said...

In China I photographed similar figures except that there were nine and they were glazed terracotta.
Love your interpretation.

Creations By Mit said...

Such a fascinating story behind this illustration! Adorable characters, as always! Would love to have them watching over me!! :)

Ces Adorio said...

I saw read this post and saw the lovely illustration the other day. I loved it then just as I love it now. My comment actually does not show the true delight I feel when I see your beautiful art. So happy to see you again in blogland. I think of you everyday. Lovingly. I miss you so much!!!!!! Tsup!

Susan said...

Bella,

Your art is inspirational, meditative and gives me peace on stressful days. Thanks for all you do!