Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know

The wonderful and incredible Monica, half of the immensely talented team that is The Art of Puro, and the absolutely amazing Carmen Saldana so graciously gave me an award the other day. Arigato gozaimasu, Monica and Carmen! Please check out some of their amazing talents at their blogs.


In conjunction with this, I'm supposed to name 7 things that I love. Ok, here goes:
  1. My wacky and wonderful family
  2. Making my children laugh
  3. Coffee ice cream and green tea ice cream, but not together
  4. Seven layer cake
  5. Making things with my hands
  6. Decorative paper
  7. You, my friend


And then the gorgeous and color-rich wonder that is Linda Cardina tagged me with a photo challenge. Here is the 4th photo in the 4th file in my computer. Luckily, the files on my computer are not too old, so nothing too incriminating. Whew! This is our neurotic dog Oz when he was a wee pup. He's mostly loving and gentle, but certain sounds just drive him mad, like the rattle of aluminum foil or the clank of silverware. He starts spinning or running in counter-clockwise circles and barking like a madman. Drives me nuts.


And finally, Ellen of Ellifolks, the creater of uniquely fabulous bears and small critters, as well as Esque, who is a crafting whiz and maker of art prints, beautiful bags and the sweeeeeetest smelling lavender sachets, both tagged me to cough up random facts about myself. Ellen's tag was for 6 items, Esque's tag was for 8. So I averaged it and scrounged around for 7. Ok, drumroll, please.....

One.
I never wear lipstick, because it makes me feel like a clown.


Two.
I only had one serious boyfriend in my life, and I married him.

Three.
I love all flowers, from the teeny tiny lily of the valley to the giant and thick magnolia. But I think my favorite is the peony, because when it begins to bloom, it looks like a bird all nestled in for a nap. Plus, you only need a few stems for a really grand and fragrant bouquet.

Four.
In college, we had to take two semesters of physical education. I took ice skating and archery, because rifle shooting was already filled. In archery, this 90-pound boy (who I swear could have been Prince's long lost brother) and I had the hardest time stringing up our bows.

Five.
I am a Tetris Queen. In grad school, my buddy Mark and I would have head-to-head Tetris tournaments. We played, literally, thousands of games and kept a tally. It was close, but I beat him, so no, I do not think my tuition dollars were wasted.

Six.
My tongue creeps out whenever I draw.





Seven.
My all-time favorite movie is Raising Arizona. Kinda light on the cerebral scale, but genius in its own right.

A close second would be Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao Miyazaki. Romance, fantasy, and an underdog heroine who gets the guy in the end. What more could you ask for.

If you've read this far, you should be congratulated. Sign below for the "I survived the extra-long post" bragging rights. And thank you!

38 comments:

Billy and Button said...

You are so clever. I love how you have done little illustrations to go with each of your points. How cute are you! Nice work :D

yoon see said...

Congrats and Thanks Bella this superb post.
You got the most guts there.
All your posts are very interesting, creative, magical, touching...whats more that make
us smile, giggle.
Your illustrations and words dwell in our heart.
Hey. you got a beautiful dog....
sorry I got to go...actually I would love to say more but times is catching up.
I glad I have spent a little time just to drop by, it's worth it:)

Bella Sinclair said...

Aw, thank you, Billy and Button! I'm glad you weren't bored. :)

Yoon See, your comments are always so heartwarming. Thanks for dropping by.

Milkberry said...

Whatttttt?
Bored?!
With you?!
Whoooo?!
Impossible!!

Hehe I love it! Your illos always make me happy!

aimee said...

copy and paste all of these comments ten thousand times! i adored this post, especially the sweet drawings that went along with everything i wanted to know. i hope you have that lovey dovey tree print framed in your house.

Dusik said...

wow, that was not boring at all, and I indeed survived till the end. I will go back to it from home, as I cannot see all of your illos from work (for some reason some of them are blocked.. huh...)

i laughed out loud and woke up other tech support guys working around when I saw the illo about your tongue "creeping out" :) :)

so funny! by the way, unlike you i love waring lipstick but i never have it on my lips, as i eat it 30 seconds after putting on LOL

have a wonderful day, Bella. say hi to your dog, he is a cutie

Ces said...

Ooh! I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Reading about you is just pure delight. I love this post and all the facts even if you don't wear lipstick which I love, the redder the better. Now I know,that signature girl of yours is absolutely marvelous! She is my signature woman's best blogger friend! I roll my tongue or gently bite my lower lip when I paint.

Ces said...

Again I just want to say, you are absolutely FABULOUS!!!

Ces said...

I love lingering here. Now I am spamming you with comments. Hahah. Later!

Bella Sinclair said...

Milkberry, ども ありがとう! Your illos always make me happy, too! I wub Wubbyland!

Thanks, aimee. I blush. No, the tree picture is in a box, buried in a closet.

Heya, Dusik! I got a chuckle when you said you had to wake up your coworkers. I got an image of you guys as old security guards, which I know has to be far from the truth. They should make lipsticks with vitamins supplements, no?

Ces, you are hysterical! I like your brand of spam. :D I can picture you with your androgynous clothing and bright red lipstick. Faaaaaabulous!

linda cardina said...

you are soooo soooo kind my sweet friend! thank u for the nice comment... i'm smiling so big right now.. :-D.
also, i love your drawings so much. i adore u, yr work and yr blog. muah!! and hugs too!

adorable doggy u have.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Bella,

I loved reading your wonderful post.
Your illustrations and words are just so lovely.

I am like you love all flowers, Lily of the valley and magnolias.
I have two white Little Gem Magnolias.

I used to have my tongue out too, never did realise until my husband pointed that out, when I was concentrating. I make an effort now
not to do that.
Also tetris, I like that game, couldn't stop playing one weekend.

Oz is a beautiful dog.

Happy Valentine's Day Bella.

Hugs
Carolyn

Ces said...

I played Tetris and was very good. My favorite was the big game machine of caterpillar. Right after I married my husband we had no washing machine so I had to do my laundry at the laundrymat. There was a catterpillar machine there so I started playing and used up my coins and never did the laundry!

esque said...

Congrats on your many awards!
Pshaw! Bored? Silly you! I love all your random facts and I especially love No. 2; it's the same with me!

And I think I could totally take you in a Tetris Challenge. Although I'd have to practice, I haven't played in a while!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hiya, Linda! Muah muah muah to you, too! :D

Thank you, Carolyn. Around the corner, the street is lined with magnolia trees, and I'm watching the buds grow big and fat. I'll have to post a picture when they pop.

Oh! Ces! Centipede! Yes, I liked that one, too. Let's see....clean clothes or high score....clean clothes or high score. Well, duh! High score, of course! Natch.

Hey there, Esque! You, too? #2? Coool! Your hubby is very sweet. And you're on for a tetris game. Any time. I'll bring you to your knees! >:-)

Ellen said...

Oh, Bella - this is wonderful - I love the drawings for each thing about you!!! It adds so much to the post. I love the little girl, too. She's very endearing - is it you? I love peonies, too. In our old house we had a whole row of different kinds; now we only have one. My favorite thing, though, is the tongue creeping out when you draw. :-)

Bella Sinclair said...

Hi, Ellen! Oui, c'est moi. In a remote sort of way.

At our old home in NY, I had planted 30 peony bushes. For a couple of weeks each year, there'd be so much splendor, and I enjoyed giving away big bouquets to my friends and neighbors.

I miss my peonies. :(

rachelhoward said...

I not only survived it, I enjoyed it very much! WONderful drawings. I love the lipstick one, the expression is brilliant and the clown's little balloon... Your work is addictive! Wonderful stuff.

Eric Barclay said...

This was a really fun post. I love the lipstick and archery illos especially.

Dusik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dusik said...

by the way, that would be a great idea to have vitamin supplements in the lipstick! i eat it anyways

oh well :)

(to be honest, now every time i draw i am trying to notice whether my tongue "creeps out" LOL.. i don't know whether it does or not, cause i've been very conscious about it)

---
i deleted the previous version of this post as i wanted to correct a spelling mistake. those mistakes do creep out whenever i type!

Renee said...

I survived the extra long post and was entertained extra long.

xoxoxo

Love Renee

Lynne said...

Oh my - I love those little illustrations! How cute!

Holly said...

Not only did I survive, I enjoyed evry moment! Love the illustrations, I married my only serious boyfriend too!
Great taste in movies by the way ^-^!

Bella Sinclair said...

Rachel, you are sweet! Woohooo, you deserve an "I Survived" t-shirt.

Hey there, Mr. Barclay! I must say, I enjoyed archery, once my bow was strung. Got pretty decent at it.

Hehehe, Dusik. I tend to creep people out, too, I think. Let me know about that tongue, if you ever find out.

Renee, your comment sounds like a gum commercial. :DDD Xtra love to you.

Thank you, Lynne! Welcome. :)

Hi, Holly! When you find your true love, you just know, right? And great taste in dolls, to you.

caren said...

I love your drawings - they are so sweet.

Bella Sinclair said...

Thank you, Caren!

TattingChic said...

OMGosh!!! The DIAPER ROBBERY!!! That is (in a very sick way) HIlarious!!! Your illustrations are cute! Thanks for sharing! It's always fun to get to know you better! :)

Bella Sinclair said...

TattingChic! I know, right??? I love that part of the movie. "Son, you've got a panty on your head." Ha!

nancy said...

lol, you're too cute! :D

Andrea said...

So Clever are You! Each comment was fantastic, and of course each and every illustration. We'll have to have a contest on the Tetris though, I was pretty good at it myself! What a classic!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hi, Nancy. Nah, you know what's cute? Your feet!

Andrea! Tetris contest. Booyah! You're on! :D

platitudinal said...

I enjoy reading your posts of little things that make Bella so special.

*I'm in awe of you, Tetris Queen. That game always makes me nervous. Borrowing Christer's words, I say, Bella, you got mad skillz!

Bella Sinclair said...

Luci, how I've missed you! Well, baby, I'd say you've got some mad skillz, too! :D

MayY . C 五月媽媽 said...

wow, such talented person you are.
My son start the tetra game, but not enough patient...

I am not good in expressing in words, but like to tell you your post is always lovely to read!

Bella Sinclair said...

Thank you, May! I hope your son enjoys that game as much as I did. And did you know, scientists are now saying computer games are good for kids? Yay!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for your wonderful posts!
You know what brought me to your page? I'm a 41 year old mom addicted to Tetris, and would love to be in a contest but can't find any info on that... any tips?
My email: karyliz10@yahoo.com

Sarah said...

Howl's Moving Castle, the book, is just as refreshing and magical. I'm reading it for the 2nd time. Thanks for sharing your drawings!