Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year, and Keep Your Eyes Peeled!

Happy new year, everyone!!! Boy, 2008 could not have ended fast enough. But the best part of last year was the discovery of new friendships that both comforted my soul and tickled my last creative brain cell, coaxing it out of dormancy. I can never thank you enough.

My new year's challenge for 2009? To walk forward with my eyes wide open and welcome new opportunities.

Here's something to chew on: Richard Wiseman, a professor in the UK, studied the difference between lucky and unlucky people. The key difference, he found, was in their behavior and way of thinking. Unlucky people are seemingly so tense that they do not notice opportunities that present themselves. In one fascinating study, he told people to count the photographs in a newspaper. Now, buried in the middle of the newspaper was a half-page ad written in two-inch high letters that said, ‘Tell the experimenter you have seen this and win $50.′ Well guess what. People who described themselves as lucky were more likely to spot the ad than people who described themselves as unlucky.

Moral? Keep your eyes peeled, people! Believe in yourself, and 2009 will be yours for the taking.

And it wouldn't hurt to describe yourself as lucky.

* * * * *

Nancy presented me with two beautiful awards recently. She is a gentle and generous soul who spends her life daydreaming and creating the most beautiful images. Even while waiting at bus stops. Thank you, Nancy!

"This award is given to a blog that invests and believes in PROXIMITY – nearness in space, time and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated."



To all my bloggy friends, I feel like we've been friends forever. You are always just a click away. Please share these awards with me. You deserve them!


2009 is the year of the Ox. Dare I say it? Should I??? No, I couldn't. Oh, but I can't resist...

Happy MOO Year!

16 comments:

aimee said...

oh, your doodle just made my day! a little moocow floating above, feeling lucky and scouting out that ad for fifty bucks somewhere in the countryside.

what a load of joy and humor you've brought to my world this year - thank heavens for your doodles and words, bella. i see a great 2009 for you ahead :)

p.s. the word verification i have to type for this comment is POMFU. i've started making a list of the funny ones and i'm adding this to it.

Edrian Thomidis said...

What a great post! Very inspirational!
I am so glad I found your blog and I can always count on you for the right words! I am definitely lucky for having found so many bloging friends like you! and as a friend of mine says 'the harder I work, the luckier I get'. and in that sense...I'm very lucky!

I am sure you will have many wonderful opportunities on 2009!

TattingChic said...

THAT is adorable! I love it, LOL! Your illustrations are so cute and heartwarming and they make MY DAY!!! Congratulations on your awards, you deserve them! I hope I'm not repeating myself; I have enjoyed your blog posts as well as your comments on my blog in 2008! Here's to many more in 2009! Happy New Year!!!

Ces said...

...and a Happy Moo Year to you too my friend. I could not say I wanted 2008 away fast because I liked it except the US presidential election. Let me just say that you are in fact an inspiration to me. I always smile with delight every time I see a new post of yours shown on my blog roll. I wish you have a "Follow This Blog" gadget. That aside, Bella, you are a gem of a blogger. I think that if I worked with you on a project you would be the one with sensible and bright ideas presented in a positive and influential manner that every team would want you. You'll also be the one to sit through a useless meeting with me, give it a chance and help direct it towards usefullness or utility instead of physically suffering like I do, fighting to stay awake! If my comment does not make sense, blame the clock. It's 2:19 AM here and I was awakened by Daisy The Puppy.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Happy Moo year to you as well Bella! You started it off with this wonderful entry. I love it. It really made my day. I plan to do just as you have said," Keep my eyes wide open! You have said well! You have encourage me on so much and this has really been a blessing to me. I know I told you this before. You are the best my friend and I am so blessed and lucky to know you. I wish you nothing but the VERY BEST and a wonderfully creative year! YOU GO GIRL! he he he

esque said...

I love the cow! Reminds me of the cows in the Swiss Alps enjoying the views of the valley below, keeping their eyes wide open for that scrumptious grass.Lol

That is great advice to consider oneself lucky and keep one's eyes open. I will take that to heart!

I'm so glad to have found your blog and love your creativity! I know 2009 is going to be awesome for you and I can't wait to see more doodles!

Cheerio and Happy Moo Year to you and yours!

Crescendo said...

Happy new Year to you Bella!

nancy said...

The cutest thing ever! :D
...ahh, I'm quite a positive person, I like to think, and still your blog always makes may day just that bit better, however do you do that? ;) Ta for a lovely few months - looking forward to the next year.

soulbrush said...

whata gorgeous little illo, specially as my husband calls me 'moo' (has for over 30 years!!!).
i would love to accept the first award and pass it on, will that be okay? i gave my art teacher the sukara coupies and she was thrilled. thanks again.lotsa hugs and kisses to you. btw when's the big move?

Peter Breese said...

Happy MOO year my friend. I am sure the new year will bring loads of new adventures. Great doodlely-dos!

TattingChic said...

Hello again, friend! I have an award for you on my blog! Happy New Year! :)

INDIGENE said...

You're right, I've kept my eyes open and have found some great blog friends! I love coming to your spot in the blog world! Happy New Year!

yoon see said...

Thanks for your wishes and also this great award Bella.
Also sharing this positive story with us.
There are more reasons why we should celebrate our friendships together...as blogging and giving comment here are also a form of opportunity....where friendships besins & blossoms.
Happy Moo Year to you too:)

Nicky Linzey said...

Happy New Year Bella, you made me laugh with your illustration which is lovely and your sentiment about being lucky is so true.

krisztina maros said...

awesome!! happy moo year to you too :)

XUE said...

Happy New Year to you from another Tokyo resident! Not yet Moo Year in my culture as to us the zodiac calendar is a lunar calendar & the new year also marks the first day of spring. So for the Chinese, Moo Year starts on 25 January this year. It is nice to come upon you, the first time I've met a Tokyo blogger!