Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tokyo Safari

I was inspired by my good friend Aimee of Artsyville to go on a safari around my neighborhood. Why is it that, in a land known for photo-happy tourists, I feel shy about whipping out my camera?! How lame is that.


I find the Japanese take pride in everything they make, even their beautiful manhole covers.


A lot of times, little items that were lost on the street are picked up and put aside for the owner to find again. That's courtesy for you.


How on earth do they get real grass to grow vertically like this?


A beautiful smattering of kimono colors.


Fall colors, just for Ces. They peaked just a couple of weeks ago. Looks like tiny fiestaware, no?


Understandably, the elves were a little busy, so the Union sent replacements. These guys are being constantly blown with air so they "dance." And there's music, to boot, but not necessarily Christmas music. It's kind of funny to watch them dance to Abba's Dancing Queen.


And of course, Santa. This is the statue of Colonel Sanders, in the holiday mood. The Japanese celebrate Christmas, but without the religious aspect to it. It's purely commercial, a time to feast on traditional Christmas cake. As my Japanese friend explained it to me, New Year's is the time to spend with family. So some years back, the KFC people starting promoting their fried chicken as the perfect meal to share with your sweetheart on Christmas. What can I say. It's a cheap date. Plus, they deliver here.

24 comments:

SCOTT BURROUGHS said...

Great photos and really fun blog. Thanks for the comment!

aimee said...

what a fab safari around tokyo! i loved every bit of it... stuff in japan is just so darn cute... more, more, more safaris please! :)

TattingChic said...

Thank you for overcoming your shyness enough to take me on a Tokyo Safari! I loved every minute of it! :)

esque said...

Awesome pics! I especially enjoyed the vertical grass (I want that for my future house) and and love that lost items get put aside to be found again. That sort of courtesy seems rare here in the US.

Ces said...

Oh Bella, I wish you do more of these. I have been to Japan so many times, over ten times but never ventured past the international airport. Once I stayed at the airport for eight hours but was afraid to go out because I only knew three phrases of Japanese. My sisters have been and took photographs of eveything looking very neat. I can understand the manhole covers (Trivia: do you know why manhole covers are round? :)) I like your commentary. Thank you so muh for the special mention with the fall foliage. Yes, they look like tiny Fiestaware. Hehe!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh oh oh, I know this one! But I've forgotten.........ummmm... No wait! Because round covers won't fall in, but square covers can fall through square holes. Yes? Yes?

INDIGENE said...

I absolutely adore the manhole covers! It's the details that are amazing! Beautiful phots.

Peter Breese said...

Such fun to see! Thank you for doing this. Great that we get to look up, down, and all around.

The living walls are a very cool new architectural feature that is just starting to take root here in the US. They are a vertical interpretation of the green roofs that are popular in Chicago and more and more in NYC. Great to see them!

Thanks for the wonderful comment on the Frog Prince!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This was so much fun. I even got my kid into this one. Bella I love this!!! Great work girly! Thanks for stopping by sweetie.

ellifolks said...

Thank you for showing us some of the beauty, kindness and humor you found in Japan! :)

yoon see said...

Bella, I indeed enjoy visiting your blog.
So many new happenings here...
I am sure you and your familt especially your kids have lots of fun sighseeing around fab safari!
I love the real grass growing creatively the vertically...he..he.. funnier that my cactus side way.
Yeah, beautiful manhole just like a souvenir badge! Somemore written the final completion date....
All are great here.
Thanks for sharing Bella!

Kat Hannah said...

Amazing peek into a very cultured, gentle society - thank you

Flying Colors said...

This is fabulous Bella! Love all this.. When are you back in the States?

Wonderful photos... Have a great weekend!
I've been so busy I had not a chance to visit... Yikes!

isay said...

very interesting and great photos. thanks for sharing.

soulbrush said...

these are great, as it's your last xmas there, take more. missing you all but will be back in london on tuesday. hugs.

nancy said...

Yes, more please! Your neighbourhood looks so much fun. :D

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Bella thanks so much for asking about the concert. It's was so very wonderful. We had to work the bug outs on the first night, but every night after was wonderful. My sisters and I had so much fun acting like the "Dreamgirls" It was so much fun to be in costume for the evening. We even got standing O's! Hopefully I will be able to post pictures soon. Merry Christmas again Beautiful!
Hugs a plenty!

NANCY LEFKO said...

just popping in to say MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Shugar said...

OOooh what great pics! :)
This is fun to read too!
Makes me want to get on a plane and go there right now! hahaha! :)

Oh and Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

-J.Meyer said...

Thanks for sharing!
The manhole is lovely and thats so nice that an object would be put aside for the owner to find. What a lovely place to live.

Carli said...

What great photos. I loved the safari

Raluca C said...

great journey!Something so local and special,you can't find in travel-guides:simply precious!
I´m impressed by the ''lacery'' of manhole...like someone said before:more safaris photos please!!!

XUE said...

How funny - I hv a pic of the sakura manhole on my blog too! I love Japan!

Ces said...

Yes! You are right, you Brainiac! mental Ninja you!