Wednesday, December 24, 2008

All Aboard!

Shortly before school let out for winter break, the first grade classes had a Polar Express Party. They were allowed to wear their PJs to school, where they watched the movie and ate popcorn, along with other educational (wink, wink) fun. Usually, the first graders are the first to be allowed into the school building in the morning. But on that day, they were held back. And then Mr. J., the fellow who conducts the morning line-up duty, disappeared. Seconds later, we heard a shrill whistle, and he reappeared with a conductor's cap and tickets for each little girl. I had to restrain myself from jumping up and down and clapping my hands.

I didn't have my trusty camera ready, so I decided to remember the moment with a sketch. Of course, artistic license gives me the right to do away with the jackets and backpacks. And put my own kid at the front of the line. And clean up that bedhead look she's so fond of.



This is what happens when you instruct your 6 year old megalomaniac to put up the "MERRY CHRISTMAS" gel window clings up on the patio doors. It annoyed my 10 year old to no end.

And I leave you with this wintery image. What I wouldn't do to see THIS snow angel. I hope you have just the BESTEST holiday, my wonderful blogging friends!

19 comments:

aimee said...

this is darling and so well drawn! if only i had a tenth of your ability to sketch memorable scenes like this i'd be overjoyed.

poor 10 year old, but i got a HUGE laugh out of the MERRY CHRISTMAS turned EMMA. did she make any words with the leftover letters?

Ces said...

Oh your drawing is so precious. Absolutely adorable. I love everything about it and that was a great idea with the Polar Express party.

I love Emma, long live Emma. She is one cool girl.

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family and give the 10 yer old a hug for me.

Bella Sinclair said...

Nona salvaged the remaining letters to spell CHRIST. And she put it high up and away from EMMA.

:)

esque said...

Cutest drawing! Ha ha, little Emma is too funny! Boy, her school is so awesome; so jealous :)

And little baby elephants playing in the snow just makes my heart melt!

Merry Christmas!

Kat Hannah said...

Priceless, exquisite memories being created by moms and little ones (of the two and four legged variety).

Joyous holidays to you and yours

soulbrush said...

what a novel idea, a birthday party at school...ha ha terrific.

Flying Colors said...

Just adorable this little big creature!

You have been a gift for my eyes and soul all year long and you have done it again today on Christmas!

Merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, Christmas to you!

TattingChic said...

What an adorable drawing! Merry Christmas to you and yours! Thank you for all your delightful visits throughout 2008 and I look forward to many more from you and to your blog from me in the coming year of 2009!!! (((HUGS))) to you, sweet Bella Sinclair! You're a gem of a bloggy friend!

Sara said...

Haha! Very enjoyable post!

The illo is very cute, I like the style you used there.

The photo of the "Merry Christmas", hehe, funny...

ValGalArt said...

what a treasured moment and you have captured it so lovingly :)

Bobo's Slave said...

I really enjoy your illustration, the pictures (Oh! Bravo to cute Emma) and the sweet video!
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Valerie Lorimer said...

It's a darling illustration! Adorable. All the best to you in 2009.

yoon see said...

Yeah, all these warm my heart.
Love the cute illustration here.
Wishing you safe journey travel back to US.

imwithsully said...

Wow! They did this at my son's school. I love this party idea. And such a cute sketch.

isay said...

i knew why i have to come back, i wouldn't want to miss this post. great story and what a beautiful illustration

can i adopt emma? so cool darling little girl.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

I can only imagine how excited these little darlings where!! OMG!!! I'm all excited too! he he he he. They must have had a wonderful time together. Sorry about the camera, but you at least your eyes and fantastic memory capture the moment. This illustration is just yummy! Oh to be a child again, Big Sigh, Hug and kisses to you and yours. Happy New Year!!!!

Meridth Gimbel said...

Bella. Really I could comment on all your illustrations. You have the most charming style. I love your shapes and colors and I really feel a connection to my childhood through your illustrations. You are fantastic! Can't wait for the next post!

Raluca C said...

Polar Expres....I know Bella you are one of those who still can hear after years Santa´s bells ringing when many others can´t hear it anymore!
I think Emma´s ''Merry Christmas'' was a really fun experience:Bravo Emma!:))))

Renee said...

Bella I am glad I came and dug deep because this is exactly what I need right now.

Sweet Emma...

And the school for doing that, oh my God, how adorable.

I love it.

Renee xoxox