Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Pencil's Name is Stubby

My favorite time to sketch is at night, in bed with a favorite TV show on the tube. No kids, no chores, just me and good ol' Stubby.
This is the koi pond at the Secret Garden in Seoul, Korea. When I went there seven years ago, there seemed to be about 100 colorful fish darting through the water. We went again last month, and I couldn't see a single one. Perhaps they were away on vacation.
You know how Maggie Simpson has a nemesis named Baby Gerald? I think my daughter Emma has a nemesis, too. There's a little boy we used to pass almost every morning on the way to school. They used to stare at each other sideways as they passed. The little boy's school uniform consisted of a grey bowler hat, a grey jacket, and grey shorts. Really cute uniform, and very reminiscent of 100 years ago. But he even had to wear those shorts during the winter. Brrrrr!

ps. Almost every elementary school child here is required to wear a hat. On sunny days, at least. It's incredibly cute to see a row of tiny kids in bright yellow hats!

20 comments:

Megan said...

I love your drawings! especially the one of the girl daydreaming at the koi pond :) so cute. (and peaceful) great job!

Edrian Thomidis said...

These drawings are lovely and full of character. I just love your work!

I am SO GLAD that you received my cards and that you liked how Imagekind printed them. I was really concerned about that. In fact, I ordered their paper samples just to 'touch/feel' the papers they use. Thanks again, and I am thrilled that you liked my work enough to want to have it !! :) You really made my day!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Oh my goodness, I am loving these drawings! And I love the story behind the second one! How cute and funny!!

Sandra Evertson said...

What a sweet story and love your illustration!
Sandra

platitudinal said...

Your sketches are just so adorable. I love those chubby cheeks!

When you mentioned rows of little yellow hats,I automatically thought of Madeline! :)

Reg said...

i especially love the first drawing! your blog is adorable! <3 <3 keep it up! :)

esque said...

I love the hats! I wished I looked as cute as that! Hm, I haven't named my pencil, I really should though!
:)

Flying Colors said...

You have the absolutely most adorable, beautiful little people in your illustrations. Just stunning!

travelandsing.com said...

your drawings are just amazing and beautiful - dreamy, poetic, sweet - just wonderful!!

Roberta said...

Bella your work is lovely.
You are very talented!!

Kristi Valiant said...

This are really cute. Well done.

cata said...

Bellissimo!!!!!
I love your drawings!!!!!
Cata

ValGalArt said...

i am charmed by both :)

johanna said...

you draw beautifully!

Eric Barclay said...

Bella, these are gorgeous. I love your work!

Gillian said...

This drawing is delightful. You have a unique style.

Bee said...

Lovely, delicate and careful sketchwork :)

PotatoMamma said...

oooh, I love the illustration with the girl by the pond!

Nicky Linzey said...

I love your drawing of the koi pond, it is so tranquil and has such a calm atmosphere.

RockerJewlz said...

Hello Bella,

Thank you for your comment on my Rockin' News blog. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

I would love to have the picture of the girl leaning over the koi pond...secret garden I think?

My email is RockerJewlz@comcast.net.

When ready, Etsy.com would be a perfect place for you. Only 20 cents to list an item and nearly all items there are handmade. Art sells really well there.